The Polk County Sheriff’s Office Traffic Unit conducted a year-long (2021) traffic safety initiative on Interstate 4 in response to aggressive driving and excessive speeding within Polk County. “According to the Teletrac Navan study, Interstate 4 is the most dangerous highway in the United States. It is our mission to keep you safe while in Polk County along this stretch of roadway in our county by enforcing the speed limit and arresting those who drive recklessly. Please, slow down and pay attention. Your life and safety are important to us.” – Grady Judd, Sheriff During the 2021 initiative, deputies:
- Stopped 5,014 vehicles for speeding or reckless driving
- Issued 3,790 citations, of those:
- 257 drivers were issued citations for traveling in excess of 100 miles per hour, with the highest speed recorded being 155 miles per hour.
- 1,490 drivers were issued citations for traveling between 90-99 miles per hour.
The speed limit on I-4 where it runs through Polk County fluctuates between 65 MPH or 70 MPH. Per Florida Statute 318.18(3)(b), the cost of a traffic citation for speeding in excess of 50 MPH on an Interstate is $1,104 and a required court appearance. 143 people were arrested during the initiative, for the following charges:
- Knowingly Driving With No Driver’s License
- Reckless Driving
- Possession of Narcotics
- DUI Manslaughter
- Violation of Injunction
The traffic safety initiative is on-going and will continue into 2022.