Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 35 Minutes, plus 8-24 hours to marinade
For the Chicken
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime zest, from 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8-12 small soft flour tortillas
For the Peppers
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 2 bell peppers, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Optional Accompaniments For Serving
- Sour cream
- Guacamole, store bought or homemade
- Salsa, store bought or homemade
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped cilantro
- (Skip this step if using chicken tenderloins.) Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment or wax paper. Using a meat mallet, pound the breasts to an even 1/2-inch thickness.
- Open a 1 gallon zip-lock bag and place in a medium bowl. Add the oil, garlic, lime zest, cumin, oregano, ancho chili powder, smoked paprika and salt into the bag. Mash the outside of the bag with your hands to blend the marinade together. Add the pounded chicken breasts or tenderloins to the bag and seal shut, releasing any air in the bag. Using your hands, massage the marinade into meat until evenly coated. Place the bag back in the bowl and place in the refrigerator (the bowl protects against leakage); let the chicken marinate at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Clean the grill and preheat to high.
- While the grill heats, cook the peppers. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan (preferably not non-stick) over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onions, peppers, salt, and sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to brown and a brown film forms around edges of the bottom of the pan, 8-10 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of water to the pan; scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release any browned bits. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes, until the water is evaporated and the pan starts to brown again; add 1/4 cup more water and cook a few minutes more, until the vegetables are tender-crisp. Season to taste with more salt and sugar if necessary. Set aside.
- Grease the grill. Lightly dip a wad of paper towels in vegetable oil and, using tongs, carefully rub over the grates several times until glossy and coated. Place the chicken on the grill and cook, covered, for 2-3 minutes per side. Let cool slightly, then place the chicken on a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch slices.
- Arrange the chicken and peppers on a serving platter. To warm the tortillas: stack 4-6 tortillas on a plate and cover them with a damp paper towel, then microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Serve with the chicken, peppers and optional accompaniments.